Friday, July 13, 2012

An Eventful Friday

So our Friday the 6th turned out to be a very eventful Friday night.  Not one we would have chosen, but it all all happened none the less.

Our evening started with a nice family dinner at home.  I wasn't feeling that great, but we had a great dinner, some playtime with Aubrey, and then put her down for the night.  At about 10:30 at night, I started feeling SEVERE abdominal pain that would shoot towards my back and shoulders.  The pain was even getting worse than what I felt when I was in labor! The pains got worse and worse during the following 15 mnutes that we knew that something was definately wrong.  In my PJs and in extreme pain, we woke up our sleeping daughter and went to the emergency room right away.  Poor Aubrey didn't even know what was going on. 

We got to the emergency room all to find the ER was packed with people.  During the wait I was laying over the arm of a chair while Aubrey sat next to me. I will never forget that moment but she held my hand and put her head on my head as I was slumped over in pain. She didn't cry but just sat there quiet and still. It's almost like she understood that mom was in pain and she wanted to comfort me.  In the midst of all of the pain it was such a special moment with her that I will treasure always.

Because I was feeling like I was going to faint, my blood pressure was extremely low, and I was in extreme pain they took me in pretty quickly.  After a lot of blood tests and a very painful ultrasound it was determined I had a ruptured cyst.  After the doctors determined what exactly it was they were able to give me some pain medication that helped me relax just a little bit.  A huge blessing was that my OB, Dr. Paul Murphy, was on call that night and he is by far the BEST doctor I have ever had and have recommended him to many friends.  He took such great care in all his decisions with me.  He took his time and didn't rush into any decisions, but you could tell her was struggling with what was the best thing to do. 

At about 3:30am I had lost so much blood that he scheduled a surgery at 6:00am.  I'm not a doctor or a nurse and don't know exactly what the numbers mean, but my blood numbers started at 11.7 at midnight and dropped to 8.6 in a matter of a few hours.  Dr. Murphy said that I was almost needing a blood transfusion but we would wait a little to see if my blood count stabalized.  At 5:30am Dr. Murphy called off the first surgery in hopes the levels would stabalize and I wouldn't have to have a surgery.  They scheduled another surgery for 12:00pm Saturday.  They gave me some more medication to make me feel a little more comfortable, but I was still in so much pain. 

At around 8:00am Saturday morning, the doc came back in and wanted some more blood work done.  At this point I was already admitted to the hospital and we were already gearing up for me to be in surgery in a few hours.  When the blood work came back, for the first time, my blood loss had finally stablized!!!  The doc called off the second surgery in hopes that the blood would be reabsorbed and I would heal without a surgery.

The day passed on, I had a great friend Jennifer come to the hospital to visit and plan meals for us, and I got to see my daughter in the afternooon for the first time after all this happened.  She stayed with my parents who got a call at midnight from Brandon to see if they could come and pick her up from the emergency room.  The day brought more blood tests, a lot of pain meds, and sleep when I could.  After I was stable enough on Sunday the doc decided that I should recover and rest at home. 

So I was bedridden with a toddler!  Luckily Brandon could take a couple of days off and we had family to take Aubrey and watch her.  I couldn't lift Aubrey up, couldn't do anything around the house, was in extreme pain, and now because of all of this we would be missing our family camping trip.  I felt so bad and useless at the time.

Despite all that had happened and the very long recovery time, I am feeling better each day and we have been so blessed by so many friends and family who have offered support, prayers, visits, and help that I feel overwhelmed just thinking about how good everyone has been to us! Like I said, we wouldn't have chosen this and wouldn't wish this upon anyone, but it happened for a reason.  If anything to maybe to see my daughter finally cling to her dad :) .  We have felt so loved and supported that we cannot thank everyone enough!  You all don't even know how special you are to us and we thank you for everything from the bottom of our hearts.  It's been a long time since I feel like I have felt well, but I know one day (hopefully soon :) ) I will. 

1 comment:

  1. Ugh I am so sorry you had to go through that but I am so glad you're feeling better!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete