Thursday, March 7, 2013

Lucy Grace Arrives!

This little girl has had a special story since day one.  With all the things she went through and survived in utero, she is one strong fighter...and our miracle baby.
 
So as stated in a previous post we were scheduled for for a c-section on Friday, March 8.  Thursday March 7th I was supposed to relax, take it easy, and we had planned a family night out before everything would change once again.  Come Thursday I started having some light contractions around 5:00am.  I went to MOPS (and we had a spa day that day so I got to visit and be encouraged by a lot of moms that morning) and when I left I was definitely in some pain.  I called Brandon around 1:00pm and told him that I thought I was having contractions and they were about 45-30 minutes apart.  He came home from work and I tried to relax while Aubrey went down for a nap.  By the time he got home around 2:00 the contractions were getting a little closer.  By about 3:00pm we had my mom pick up Aubrey because we thought we were going to be headed to the hospital at some point. 
 
As the afternoon went on the contractions were really getting strong.  I called my doctor's office to see what I should do.  At this point I thought that they would stop my labor if I went in, but they wanted me to wait it out.  At around 6:00pm my doctor called to check in to see if I had any questions or concerns about the surgery the next day.  I told him that I was having some strong contractions.  He told me to try and rest and lay down.  About half an hour later it became apparent that we needed to go in.  We packed the rest of our bag and were off.
 
When I got checked at around 7:00 I was already dialated to 6cm.  Of course we had waited, wanted and anticipated my doctor being the one to deliver our baby, but there was another doctor on call that evening.  This doctor was really pushing for a natural delivery.  He said my body was progressing nicely and my veins were looking ok.  At that point I got pretty emotional when he left the room.  I didn't know what way would be best.  He said that I should be as relaxed as possible to put even less pressure on my veins so they wheeled me into another room and started the epidural.  They wanted to start me on everything just in case a c-section was still in the books.  The only real hiccup was that the nurses blew out two of my veins when they were starting the IV and this made for a frantic room when I the epidural started and I was about to pass out. 
 
After the epidural had taken (and by the way, this epidural was wonderful!!  I was in a minimal amount of pain!!  Very different than with Aubrey's delivery :) ) The doctors and nurses had me laying down to minimize any pressure on my legs and veins.  At this point around 9:00pm I was still set on doing the c-section because of the risks that my doctor had talked about with us.  After I had the time to relax and rest some, I was checked again and at that point baby's head had moved down a lot and I was ready to push.  The doctor didn't want me pushing for more than 10-15 minutes and things were looking ok for that to occur.  I felt ok at that point to try this out and the doctor assured me that if anything was going wrong that the OR was right across the way.
 
I pushed about 3 times and this girl made her entrance into the world.  Who was to know but there was absolutely no damage to my veins...a HUGE praise!! 
 






 
So this little one made her entrance 8 hours before her scheduled c-section all on her own. She was a tiny 6lbs, 14oz and 19.5 inches long. She was perfect and healthy and we couldn't have been more excited or feel more blessed. I had been blessed to carry her for these 9 months and now we were blessed to become her parents.  What a story this little has even from the very beginning of her life.  We can't wait for what God has in store for her as an individual and with us as now we have become a family of four!!  We love you Lucy Grace!  We just can't believe you are finally here and we finally get to hold you :).

2 comments:

  1. LOVE that first picture. Thank goodness for an easier second delivery. You look great. I hope your two girls are being sweet to their mommy. Tell Lucy she's got one more week and then better be sleeping through the night. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so thankful for a smooth delivery! I couldn't have asked for anything better :). I'm starting to lecture Lucy about sleeping through the night...hopefully it will get through to her soon :).

    ReplyDelete